Spousal Open Work Permit Canada

Spousal Open Work Permit Canada

The Spousal Open Work Permit is designed to support the reunification of families. Under the International Mobility Program, IRCC allows certain temporary status residents, such as study permits and work permit holders, to invite their spouses to Canada on spousal open work permits. The validity of a spousal open work permit usually matches the validity of the temporary status of the inviter spouse in Canada. So, whether your spouse is within Canada or outside, we can help apply for their spousal open work permit or extension of the work permit, as the case may be.

Who is Eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit in Canada ?

Individuals who meet the requirements of National Occupation Certification(NOC) skill types are eligible to apply for open work permits.
To be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit in Canada, the applicant must meet the following criteria:

Application Process for Spousal Open Work Permit Canada

Applying for a Spousal Open Work Permit in Canada involves several steps. These include:
  • A copy of your spouse or common-law partner’s confirmation of permanent residence (COPR).
  • Proof of genuine relationship, such as marriage certificates or declaration of common-law relationship.
  • Valid passports for both you and your spouse.
  • Proof of your spouse’s or common-law partner’s status in Canada.
  • Two passport-sized photographs for each applicant.
  • Proof of payment for the application fee.

Spousal Open Work Permit Under Different Programs

In addition to the general Spousal Open Work Permit, there are specific provisions for individuals under different immigration programs.
Atlantic Immigration Pilot (AIP) Work Permit Holders : in Atlantic Canada under the AIP may be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit. This allows their spouses to work in any occupation that meets NOC standards in the Atlantic provinces.
Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) Holders : Individuals who have applied for permanent residence through the Express Entry Program and have received a Bridging Open Work Permit may be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit. This allows their spouses to work in Canada while waiting for a permanent residence application to be processed.
Provincial Nominee Work Permit (PNWP) Holders : The Spouses of PNWP holders can apply for an Open Work Permit in Canada for the time the travel documents of their common law parents are valid, as well as their provincial residential status. This allows them to work in any occupation within the province.

How Can Our Consultants Help You?

Navigating the Canadian immigration system can be complex and overwhelming. Our team of experienced consultants specializes in assisting individuals with their Spousal Open Work Permit applications. We will carefully evaluate your situation and check your eligibility through the Canada points calculator. Contact us today and get expert guidance from our immigration consultants on the Spousal Open Work Permit application process.

Scroll to Top